Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Shianda, Shianda





New products


I have been in Shianda, Kenya for two months as a Mondo and Wefoco volunteer. It is a wet season at the moment In Kenya. Usually it rains in the afternoon and at night. I like the rain because it reminds me a bit my home, Estonia. 

My work experience in the local Tailor Shop 


We started to generate new ideas for new products. The use of plastic bags is prohibited in Kenya, locals are using small synthetic bags which unfortunately are not very durable. They break very fast. 

We decided to start sewing fabric bags, which could be worn on the shoulder and packed small if necessary. For the finishing touch we embroidered our village name on the bags. Unfortunately the quality is not the best yet as our sewing machines, embroidery machine, and overlock machine need some repairs, but we are working on it.










Handicraft teaching groups in Khaunga and Esukura villages

All the groups started from the very beginning, they had no previous experiences with handicrafts. The participants manual skills are very different, some learn new skills fast some don’t. In both groups there are people who come to lessons every week and people who are coming only once to try it out, but soon releasing that handicraft is not so easy. So far we have made a great progress - from learning the original loops of crocheting we have now crocheted a hat. 


Esukura women's grupp


Khaunga women's grupp



I like to explore


On my free time, I like to visit and explore new places in Kenya, such as Kakamega Forest, Lake Victoria, Kisumu City, Maboko Island and more. You can see all the beautiful places on my pictures!


Kakmega Forest

Like Victoria


Dunga fish beach








No comments :

Post a Comment