Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Thank you Kenya

 

I worked as a volunteer in Kenya for a total of 6 months. My task was to strengthen the independent development of Shianda community in Western Kenya. The time over-there was very interesting and educational. Approximately 100 people gained new skills in the workshops and trainings conducted by me.


The first 3 months in Kenya was difficult. I was supposed to help local Tailor Shop in Shianda to create new products and get their business running again,  but it was not possible as the Taylor Shop workers were not interested about my help. They didnt show up to my trainings and the overall situation over there was not good - sewing machines were broken, they didnt have tools etc. Luckily there was a change of manager and after that things started to take a turn for the better. Tailor Shop was open every day and orders were filled on time. We bought new fabrics and a steam iron, which made finishing the products much easier. We started with weekly trainings what helped them to  acquire new skills. First, we practiced working with electric sewing machines and then with overlock sewing machines as well. All tailors experienced that work goes much faster with electric machines. In addition, we learned new work techniques, for example, how to fasten locks, and sew pockets.





I also conducted weekly workshops in the small villages near Shianda, in Esukura and Khaunga. I taught them how to crochet and wanted introduce them to knitting as well, but unfortunately, it was not possible to buy suitable knitting needles in Kenya. There was also a big problem with yarns. It was only possible to buy synthetic materials. So we adapted and only made crochet hats and bags. On the last day of my workshop, we made an exhibition of crocheted bags and hats. Everyone were proud and happy with the handmade products. Considering that all the women tried crocheting for the first time, I was very satisfied with the work. I am sure that women will be able to start selling their products in the future.









No comments :

Post a Comment