Monday, November 14, 2022

This is it...

Mostly with sadness I realize that I have to leave Kenya soon. More and more I find myself thinking that I will miss certain things here, even walking down the street or buying ground nuts from my favourite lady by the gas station. Buy fresh fruit at 8 in the morning after walking home from the gym...

Time has gone too quickly, and I am not ready to leave. 

During this short period of time, I have grown- grown to appreciate and acknowledge more the privileges I have, grown to love this little place called Shianda, grown to appreciate little comforts. I have become more open-minded but also learned to stand up for myself more. I have learned to ask for help and recognize better when I need time off. I have met incredible people who I will have a deep connection and friendship for the rest of my life!

 

During my deployment I managed to work on different projects. I spent some time working in Shianda health centre, I gave trainings to young mothers about breastfeeding, safe environment for child, infant nutrition, recognizing a sick child. I trained community health extension workers as first aid trainers, so they would have the skills to train others. They also assisted me in my biggest project- training 300 community health volunteers (CHVs) in basic first aid. I organised a fundraiser to get the means to do this project, to offer tea, lunch and training materials for the participants. I trained about 300 CHV in 14 days in 12 different dispenseries and health centres. It was a very consuming project, but every day during my trainings I saw the interest and need for knowledge. The determination and dedication to learn. I am very proud of this project and truly believe it is of great value to the beneficiaries. 

 

Overall, I have loved my deployment here in Kenya. Not every moment has been easy, there has been setbacks, frustrations, stress, sadness, anger, annoyance. But there have also been incredible moments, successes, a lot-a a lot of laughter, deep connections and friendships. It has been an extraordinary journey which I will appreciate for the rest of my life!


All of my 14 amazing groups, who I trained in basic first aid!

















No comments :

Post a Comment