Friday, March 1, 2024

My First Weeks in Kenya: Path to a new Life

  Going to Kenya was a big adventure for me. Before I left, I tried to learn as much as I could about it online. But, no matter how much I read, nothing could really prepare me for what it was actually like to be there. It's a bit funny - I thought I knew what to expect, but when I got there, I realized it was both exactly and nothing like I imagined. I think That mix of feelings is what people call culture shock.


In just three weeks, a lot of things changed for me. One of the biggest surprises was how my sleeping habits changed. Back home, I used to stay up late. But in Kenya, I started going to bed early and waking up with the sun. The nights there feel different. It gets really dark by 7 PM, and by 9 PM, it feels like midnight. Every morning, birds chirping outside my window woke me up, like nature's own alarm clock.


I was really lucky to stay in a big house with a beautiful garden. It felt peaceful and made me happy.

people in Shianda, the place I stayed, were super friendly. Even if they didn't know me, they would say hi and make me feel like a celebrity. They often called me “Mzungu,” which is a word used for foreigners. I also had to get used to doing things like washing my clothes by hand.


I tried to mix a bit of my life back home with my new life in Kenya. For example, I wanted to make pizza one day, but there was no oven. So, I tried to make one using pots. It didn't go as planned - I ended up melting the bottom of one pot! It was a funny mess, and I learned I should add water to the pot next time.



sure it didn't look good😂😂!!!!!





The first two weeks were all about getting used to everything. By the third week, I started teaching computer lessons to students. It was great to see that they liked me and trusted me right from the start. I really hope I can do something good that lasts even after I leave.


I wanted to share my story so far, to show what it's been like for me here. It's been a mix of learning, making mistakes, and meeting amazing people. And it's all part of this big adventure in Kenya.




No comments :

Post a Comment