Monday, July 5, 2021

Greetings from Kenya


 Last year same time I was living in Costa Rica and working in the most amazing School community (United World Colleges),  but life had different plans for our family, and we moved back to Estonia. I started with PhD studies, which has been on my to-do list for some time, and dived into the field of academic research.  Due to coronavirus, all the work was done in distant mode, and for a people`s person,  who loves the interaction and change of scenery, this was the most challenging year by far.  So when I saw the ad that MONDO is looking for volunteers for the summer period, I knew that this could be an adventure my heart has been craving for. Now it was just a matter of convincing my family that it would be a great way to spend the summer holidays. My husband is a passionate naturalist and wildlife photographer, so it was not difficult to convince him. After all, there is so much to see and do. In August, the time I will finish the project is exactly the time of wildebeest migration in Masai Mara national park, and I guess that was the selling argument. My 4-year old has seen many travel shows, and he has an obsession with seeing local tribes,  so he was happy to go for an adventure. Our 4th member is almost two, and he feels great anywhere as long as he has his family around. So that was set!   


We have been here for almost three weeks now and starting to get used to the daily routine and language. Both kids have learned the basic greetings and know the difference between Jambo, mambo and Habari.  We live in a nice2-bedroom complex with a beautiful garden, where there is plenty of space to run and play. Every morning we wake up around seven, and I start work  around 9.  I am working with the organization People Against Poverty and training digital competence workshop leaders. We started with the training last week, and so far everything (except getting the internet) has been going smoothly. The group has great energy, and they are eager to learn (more about it in my next post). When I am working, kids usually play in the garden with neighbours kids and invent all sorts of fun games as we did not take many toys with us.

 

In the evenings we usually go for strolls near the cornfields and enjoy the beautiful sunsets. It is completely dark at seven, and at this time, it is also a curfew, so all the pubs are closed. There are two more volunteers in the village, and Mondo organized a visit to Estonian teachers, so we have had our share of social events. Hopefully, the cosy cooking- and movie nights will continue. Kenya has been welcoming, and despite the pandemics, the daily life in the village continues. I am grateful that I can be part of this life and looking forward to the sunny days and cosy evenings under the African skies! 


First day of the workshop

Celebrating Midsummer evening.

Evening walks near the cornfields.

Backyard selfie...the boys are ready for adventure.



No comments :

Post a Comment