Tuesday, July 5, 2022

3rd month: something is growing

I am at the halfway point now! Time flies and seeds are sprouting. I used to have many concerns about my work here, and what to do if my presence here was really necessary. Now I can start to see some results, and I can say I am satisfied. All groups are very committed to participating in agriculture activities. I have been visiting some of them, or just calling them when it was not possible to meet. They were all showing a lot of gratitude for being part of the training, and they were proud to show me their Sukuma nurseries or tell me about them. 
Here I can see the beauty of being a EUAV: achieving results with just a little financial investment, but all your energies and time. I feel lucky to be part of this all, to have come to learn so much about local agriculture and, above all, local people.  I am also lucky to be here with the best possible co-EUAV! June gave us the opportunity to double party in my garden. On the 2nd of June, we celebrated the Italian Republic, with a homemade tiramisù prepared by Lisa and me. It actually was a Kenyan version, since mascarpone is impossible to find here and raw eggs are not the best idea. Soooo, we used cashew nuts and coconut cream to mock the classic cream. It was not a real tiramisùm but I can say it was delicious. The second occasion to celebrate was given by my halfway point, on the 20th. I used some of my personal supply of Italian rice to make a risotto with local pumpkin and mushrooms. Chatting in the garden, and sharing our experience here, while enjoying food and some drinks is just the best evening you can imagine in Shianda.

No comments :

Post a Comment