Tuesday, July 12, 2022

"NICE TO MEET YOU"

"NICE TO MEET YOU"

Ready, set, go. Let's get to know the Shianda community.

I waited a long time to start telling again precisely because I didn't want to take time away from this process. I have dedicated myself to it with body and mind.

So many emotions have crossed me in recent months that it is not easy to summarize.

It was months of phone calls and appointments.it was miles of walking and boda boda.it was landscapes that changed before my eyes..it was cornfields, expanses of bright green grass, banana trees, palm trees..It was dirt roads, holes, puddles, sun and rain..it was animals, flowers, colors, scents..but above all, it was PEOPLE.


  



I began in my role as a volunteer by moving far and wide in the extensive territory of Shianda. I went to meet the beneficiaries of the projects and introduced myself to them. In fact, due to the pandemic, many of the activities have been suspended, including those of the project I am dealing with, concerning the issue of disability. This means: no volunteers in the field for a long time. As often happens, As I told in my previous post, in this time people "have waited".

What I found in common in all the groups was the enthusiasm. The joy with which they welcomed me was overwhelming. I believe that this enthusiasm is a recognition of the work that MONDO and WEFOCO have been doing for years in Shianda. A beautiful message from the local community.



 
   


    

Introduce myself, see people's faces, listen to stories, discuss difficulties, challenges, desires ... in a mix of languages, given by English, Swahili and Luhia, and in a mix of sounds, given by cows grazing in the gardens or the chickens that flutter inside the houses .. it was very exciting.

The knowledge was a great window into life here. Community is life.


NICE TO MEET YOU SHIANDA, THANK YOU FOR THE WELCOME!


No comments :

Post a Comment