Friday, July 22, 2022

4th month: clock is ticking

Today I celebrate my 4th month in Shianda! Things have changed so much since I arrived here. I remember being scared and unsatisfied during my first month, worried that my job here would not have taken off, but I was wrong.Now I find myself being so busy keeping up with all the activities. I spend my days going around Shianda to check on the groups. They often call me to ask me to come and see their seedlings, or to make vertical bags together. I feel so grateful at the end of the day, after seeing how they appreciate the activities I have been implementing with Mondo and WEFOCO.
Mixing soil and manure with Esukura, Emusirasire and Bumini groups
Collecting stones for the vertical bag
Vertical bag in the making
The time I have left in Kenya is now less than I spent here. I am starting to realize that I will be gone very soon. On one side I am sad about it because working in agriculture requires time, and I probably won't have enough time to collect data on the impact of the project on vertical bags, nor on the new one, I am planning for August. However, I see that the groups are capable of managing by themselves and are committed to applying new skills and technologies to their work in the fields. I guess I will just try to enjoy most of the time I have left, working hard with the groups, making sure they will continue like this.
Jackfruit: the biggest existing fruit
Monthly meeting with some of the chairladies and secretaries
Separating maize seeds from the husk

No comments :

Post a Comment