Monday, August 22, 2022

5th month: elections time

Since I arrived in Kenya in March, I have been witnessing campaigning activities all around Shianda and other towns. This commitment to elections reached the apex during the last month of August. The elections took place on Tuesday the 9th, and it was impossible to carry out any kind of activity during the days before and the days after. Everybody was just concerned about the elections and their results, nothing more. This was a big moment for Kenya. Because here elections take place every 5 years, and in one single day Kenyans vote for President, Members of Parliament, Senators, Woman Representatives, County Governor, and Members of the County Assembly.
Campaign sign in Nairobi
A campaign sign in Nairobi
Now that the President has been declared, even if with some delay, we are back in the field! Unfortunately, Kakamega County, the County where Shianda is found, had some problems with its ballot papers for the Governor's election. This means that there is still one election to do, but no day has been announced yet. Until that time, I have the opportunity to go visit all the community groups and see how they are doing. The sukuma (African kale) in their vertical bags is growing strong, and some of them have already started collecting it. In one case, that of the initial demonstration bag, the seedlings have even been changed now to leave room for new crops: beans and spinach, reusing the same sack. I also had the opportunity to share some ideas for the new training I am organizing, and all members seemed to be excited, as they always are when talking about agriculture. It is always interesting to talk with them about the differences in crops and diet between Kenya and Italy. We do not have mangoes or avocadoes, but I tell them about oranges and grapes. The funniest thing is the surprise on their face every time I tell them that I also eat ugali in Italy, but it is yellow and it is called polenta! 

Making vertical bags with Wichelu (3rd August)

Break with bread and margarine after work in the field with Olungabes (4th August) 

Checking on Khunyiri Orphans' sukuma (19th August)



 I can say that things are going well, but I am almost at the end of this experience, and I am having mixed feelings. On one hand, I realize that very soon I will abandon this environment that I came to love. The vegetation of Shianda and the landscapes of Kenya are amazing, same for the food. On the other hand, now that my flight back to Italy is approaching, I miss home even more, and I just want to complete all my tasks here as soon as possible to go back.

No comments :

Post a Comment