Thursday, August 25, 2022

First Month in Shianda

My first month in Shianda, and it feels like time is passing quickly and slowly at the same time. I feel like I can say I have adapted quite easily, I came here prepared and trying to control my expectations, but experiencing things is always different. Between bucket showers, the rain, electricity cuts, eating and cooking together, and fending off mosquitoes, which are less than I expected, time has passed.






I arrived here about 10 days before the elections, which are a very special time here in Kenya because it's kind of like everything is stuck waiting for the outcome. This is because you are voting not only for the president but also for the governors of the various counties, and many projects depend on the government. It was interesting to witness this event; the preceding weeks were marked by rallies, music and discussions.


Just because of the election it was difficult to meet people, organize meetings or talk about the needs and interests of the community. However, I was able to visit an educational center for boys with disabilities, where I was able to exchange ideas and expectations on the topic of gender-based violence.


I also visited nearby towns and went to the Kakamega Rainforest, a peaceful and amazing place with its ancient trees and where monkeys rule the day.





No comments :

Post a Comment