Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Three weeks in a blink of an eye…

 

Karibu dear reader! My name is Hanna Helena and I arrived in Western Kenya to a village called Shianda a little more than three weeks ago. I am a nurse by profession and my role is to work on community health awareness as well as support local health centres and dispensaries for the next three months I am spending here.

 


You hear a lot that time flies here. And that is does (partly probably because it gets dark as early as 7 PM 😆)... Part of me can’t even process that I have been here for that amount of time already. I have only received the warmest of welcomes and since day one I have felt comfortable- like home.

 

During the weeks here I have had the opportunity to meet many great people from the communities, work at Shianda health centre and learn more about this place and the people. Approximately the first month here I have spent and continue to spend on what we call the needs assessment. This is a way for me to learn and find out how my expertise can be most valuable here. Thus far I have already found important causes and topics that I want to work on.  More on that in the next posts! Though not all the work might go the way I am used to or the way I would like- but there is always a learning curve in all we do in life. And my lesson here is to let it flow- all good things take time and come in their due course. 

 

 



 

Though I put great emphasis on my work here, it is still very important to take time for myself and offload some of the stress that for sure has and will accumulate. For example, this weekend I had the chance to visit Kakamega rainforest. An amazing place near to us that offered so many amazing experiences from grandiose views onto the rift wally to many monkey sightings and amazing flora. 

 

 



 

 

No comments :

Post a Comment