Monday, June 10, 2024

Embracing the Pace: Reflections on Life in Shianda

 After spending two months in Shianda, I’ve come to a profound realization: we often don’t have time to appreciate the little things in life. Back home, we’re constantly racing against the clock, rarely pausing to notice the beauty of the sky or listen to the calming sounds of birds in the morning. Instead, our days are filled with the noise of cars and the hustle of daily life, leaving little room for reflection.


In Shianda, the pace is entirely different. There’s no rush to get things done, which has its benefits and drawbacks. On the positive side, this slower pace allows for a more relaxed and mindful way of living. However, it can sometimes be frustrating when things take much longer than expected. For instance, if you schedule a meeting with locals at 9 am, it might not actually start until noon. In Europe, we often go to the other extreme by rushing everything, whereas here, the opposite is true. I can’t help but wish for a balance somewhere in between.


Living in Shianda has also been a cultural eye-opener, thanks to my housemates: Emma, Ebba, and Mattia. We come from four different nationalities, which means I’m not only immersed in Kenyan culture but also learning about various other cultures from around the world. Each of my housemates has a unique personality, yet they all share common traits: they’re smart, loving, kind, and genuinely passionate about making a positive impact in the community here.


This shared purpose and sense of community have turned my housemates into a second family. Although I’m far from my own family, I’ve found a new one here. We cook together, and our dinner times have become a cherished part of my day. We use this time to share stories about what made us happy or annoyed throughout the day, creating a space where we support and uplift each other.



This experience has shown me the beauty of slowing down and appreciating the simple moments in life. It’s a reminder that while our surroundings may change, the core values of love, community, and connection remain universal.

No comments :

Post a Comment