Tuesday, June 4, 2024

The half-way blog

 My mid-stay here has just passed, and many feelings storm through my body. I can’t say it’s solely related to time. I am one to stay busy, and I am already anticipating the next steps (yes, yes, it is too early for that). Having studied international development and disaster management, there are different pathways I am looking forward to further developing myself. But my mind is racing now that I am exposed to this development experience, continuous reading into the aid industry, and discussions with peers. 

Anyway, let’s get into life in Shianda, so for those of you who are interested or preparing to come to Shianda can know what is ahead of you. At the beginning of May, we finally organised the 3-day training, an objective I’d had since my arrival, but one that had many roadblocks. Little things that could have easily been avoided continued to add up, making the process of designing and organising the training difficult, to say the least. I honestly wouldn’t know where to start explaining it all, and for future volunteers ready to embark on this wonderful adventure, I have a lessons learned file stored in the WEFOCO and MONDO drive. Now, finally deciding I was ready and it would be a now or never was a personal turning point to go through with it - and what was that worth it! For three intense days, we talked about gender, gender-based violence and violence against women, including different forms, types and consequences, land-human-child-disability rights, psychosocial support, and reproductive health. We re-established a president, deputy, secretary, and treasurer with the group, allowing for a more structured pathway forward. Sixteen people successfully completed the training, meaning we now have 17 wonderful GBVA in and around Shianda.


The participants' eagerness to learn more about these topics, to learn from each other, and to start with advocacy work has left me speechless. Although three full training days, from 09:00 AM (!!) to 16:00 PM (sometimes even longer), were exhausting, it was not enough. I will focus on facilitating more information and training the GBVA ambassadors to do continuous advocacy work within the wider communities. 

Another side project is the GBV library, which is improving slowly but surely. To make the trainings more accessible, we have added extra Kiswahili versions, instruction cards in English and Kiswahili for each training, and replaced the paper covers that are constantly ripping apart with more durable plastic ones.


With the first bigger GBVA meeting, we discussed numerous points; we continued the plan of doing smaller workshops to continue learning, introduced an M&E form to better understand how many cases we are handling, and started discussing how we can make the GBVA work more financially sustainable.


With these work-related updates, it’s time to understand that life is definitely not only work! Some of the most wonderful things about being here are integrating into the community and exploring the country. As my Kiswahili is getting better pole pole, I see some connections with the people here are improving warmly and comfortingly. One of the most important things I am learning is just to show up, and you’ll notice that you are welcome! So now I am becoming better at cooking ugali and am learning how to make a delicious and slimy dish called mro - which I am not sure my western friends would be too happy about if I make it for them, but I gotta say, I enjoy that slippery green meal! 


We’ve also been lucky to travel to some new places. Being accompanied by hundreds of dragonflies while exploring Ndere island, hearing nothing but nature as we are the only ones on this little piece of land, together with some zebras and baboons (I’m sure there are other animals; we just didn’t see them). We also had a weekend trip to the coast, which, despite Mo’s malaria and Ebba’s bacterial infection (making both of them sleep at every opportunity), was an amazing trip to discover a whole different side of Kenya. The white beach with coconut trees, the relaxed atmosphere, and the ocean inviting us to learn some kitesurfing was a true bliss.



Being here is equal to being constantly in awe, finding beauty in the small and unusual things around you. We find ourselves in situations such as learning how to cook mro and ugali on a jiko in a small kitchen hut, learn shortcuts between peoples houses, become fashionably on time to our own meetings, and start conversations in Kiswahili. You realise that the morning sun shines just a bit differently than you are used to at home and it makes your whole body warm up. The billion of fireflies lighting up the dark road on the way home from a rough gym session in the rustic gym. Spotting wild animals on little weekend trips while being accompanied by a hundred dragonflies along the way. The rough bodaboda rides that leave you with mad respect for the driver and the overful matatu rides that have you counting 24 heads in one small transport van.


So yes, many feelings storm through my body as I think of the fact that I’ve passed half of my stay. But right now, I feel mainly excited for all that is yet to come, which is still a staggering four months filled with opportunities!

Our 2024 family Christmas card is ready!!

No comments :

Post a Comment